Calling a capture into code {% input [capture] %}

Hi,

I’m trying to capture a variable cell name in my code to use in a {% input custom.some.thing %} line of code, but am struggling to bring this input cell to life!

I’ve copied my code at the bottom of this post. As you can see, I’ve captured {{ cell_name }} as the name of the service (row title) followed by the year concerned (column title). I am then trying to call {{ cell_name }} into the input line beneath (currently illustrated as {% input custom.some.thing placeholder:cell_name %}).

When replacing this with {% input cell_name %} or {% input [cell_name] %} I lose the ability to type into the input fields. Are you able to assist with how I can treat this capture as the name of my cell whilst retaining the ability to input?

Many thanks,
Joe

{% stripnewlines %}
{% assign array_management = "Accounting Solutions|Accounting Systems Advice|Bookkeeping|Budgets and Forecasts|Consultancy and Advice|Company Secretarial|Management accounts|VAT returns" | split:"|" %}
{% assign array_years = "2018|2019|2020|2021|2022|2023|2024|2025|2026|2027|2028|2029|2030|2031|2032" | split:"|" %}

{::font size="l"}**CCH Actual Data**{:/font}
{% newline %}{% newline %}
|
{% for year in array_years %}
  |{{ array_years[forloop.index0] }}
{% endfor %}

{% newline %}
|-10%-
|-6%-
{% endfor %}
+

{% newline %}
{% for service in array_management %}
|{{ array_management[forloop.index0] }}
 {% assign management = array_management[forloop.index0] %}
   {% assign year = array_year[forloop.index0] %}
   {% capture cell_name %}company.custom.{{ management }}_{{ year }}{% endcapture %}
   |{% input custom.some.thing placeholder:cell_name %}
 {% endfor %}
{% newline %}|{% newline %}

{% endfor %}
{% endstripnewlines %}

Hi @jhanley,

Nice what you’re going for. I’ve made some changes though:

{% stripnewlines %}
{% assign array_management = "Accounting Solutions|Accounting Systems Advice|Bookkeeping|Budgets and Forecasts|Consultancy and Advice|Company Secretarial|Management accounts|VAT returns" | split:"|" %}
{% assign array_years = "2018|2019|2020|2021|2022|2023|2024|2025|2026|2027|2028|2029|2030|2031|2032" | split:"|" %}

{::font size="l"}**CCH Actual Data**{:/font}
{% newline %}{% newline %}
|
  |{{ year }}
{% endfor %}

{% newline %}
|-10%-
|-6%-
{% endfor %}
#

{% newline %}
   {% capture cell_name %}{{ management }}_{{ year }}{% endcapture %} 

|{% input custom.some.[cell_name] placeholder:cell_name %}
 {% endfor %}
{% newline %}|{% newline %}

{% endfor %}
{% endstripnewlines %} 

So,

|{{ year }}
{% endfor %}

There’s no need to go through your array with the forloop.index; if you use just {{ year }} it will do. (or whatever name you choses in your forloop)

Same here.

{% capture cell_name %}{{ management }}_{{ year }}{% endcapture %}

Nice what you are doing here: creating a dynamic variable that will be different for every input object!
More info here:

{% input custom.some.[cell_name] placeholder:cell_name %}

The placeholder… Personally, I wouldn’t use it and use a general one. But never mind that.
Also, I don’t see the reason to make it a custom database variable in the company-drop. That would mean each input, no matter what year or category, is the same.

What I think you are trying to do, is make each input-object separate from each other, within the category and year. And you could use the dynamic variable for that:

custom.some.[cell_name] will be custom.some.Accounting Solutions_2019 & custom.some.Accounting Solutions_2020 and so on…

No? Let me know if this work for you.

Hi @sven

Thanks for your prompt response, and all of the pointers above!

Re: Forloop & Palceholder

Thanks for the tip! This will keep my code much tidier and easier to follow. On the same basis, I’ve cut down:

To:

|{{ service }}

And don’t worry – I won’t be keeping this! This was just to illustrate what I was expecting the cell’s name to be within the database, though thanks for the feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

Re: Dynamic Variables

It looks like everything you’ve suggested is working as I was hoping. I had selected the company drop as this is a text document and not a reconciliation. Essentially we’re creating a document where we can push in fixed data via the API and then call this into each relevant period template by referring to i.e company.custom.some.Accounting Solutions_2019. I selected the company drop on the basis that text documents cannot have handles as I figured that this would be the only way to call on that data. Is this correct?

Let me know if there’s a better way for us to approach this, as any feedback is greatly received!

Regarding custom.some.[cell_name] - instead of capturing and using [cell_name], would the following work instead?

|{{ service }}
      |{% input company.custom.[service].[year] %} 
 {% endfor %}

Thanks again for all the help & feedback - it is much appreciated!

Kind regards
Joe

Our pleasure @jhanley, keep up the good work! :muscle:

1 Like