CASE: use debug mode

This is awesome. Why isn’t it in the dev docs though? An overview of the debug functionality and how to activate it (or even just a reference to this post) should be mentioned in capital letters right at the start of the developer docs!

Happy that I stumbled upon this post, but would’ve also been nice some weeks ago :slight_smile:

Hello @Wsteppe,

We have to agree with you. Unfortunately (as you have noticed), we maintain 2 different things here (developer site and the community), and there is an overlap in which we need to become better on communicating to you future developers. Sorry 'bout that.

Just know we are aware of this, and we hope to bring change in this into the near future.

Thanks for your honest feedback :muscle:

1 Like

I’ve used this for some time and that worked fine, but since last week this doesn’t work anymore. So when I put “?debug=1” at the end, nothing is showing. I’ve asked a colleague of me and he doesn’t see it also. (so it’s not my PC). Is there something else why this shouldn’t work anymore?

I have the same problem

Hi, is there anyone who knows what the problem could be?

Hi Peter,

Try adding &debug=1 at the end of the url instead and let us know if it works.

Best,
Borja

Hi Borja,

No, &debug=1 instead of ?debug=1 also doesn’t work. It"s strange because it has work before on the PC I’m currently working on and also Julie had this problem, so it should not a problem of my PC.

Hi Peter,

I have been investigating and it seems that the debug mode does not work in templates that are part of a paying package in Silverfin. We will give you an update if this changes in the future.

In the meantime if there is anything we can help you with regarding a specific issue please let us know.

Best,
Borja

Ok, thanks Borja, that has changed then, because it did work a few weeks ago.

Now some of my calculations are useless because you changed some result tags and I have no way of finding the correct tags.
Is there anyway we can still get this information? :frowning:

Hi Julie,

It is possible to create a template containing an (automatically generated) overview of all result tags within each template.

Please refer to the following case which we created for this purpose:

Creating such a template will grant you a way to stay up to date with all result tags (which, unfortunately, may sometimes change due to a necessary update).

Please let us me know if you have any questions about this.

Regards,

Laurent

We’ve added a new section into the debug pane, called the Dependencies tree. All info can be found here:

TIP: to save you time typing out ?debug=1 in the URL, you can also create a bookmark in your browser of choice (Chrome eg), with the following Java-script:

javascript:void((function(){var locHasAnchor = location.href.split('#').length > 1 ? true : false; var loc = locHasAnchor ? location.href.split('#')[0] : location.href; var anchor = locHasAnchor ? '#' + location.href.split('#')[1] : '';if (loc.indexOf('debug') >= 0) return; loc.indexOf("?") < 0 ? (location.href = loc+"?debug=1"+anchor) : (location.href = loc+"&debug=1"+anchor);})());

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 08.29.39

This creates a bookmark you just click on whenever you want to debug a Silverfin template; it’ll automatically add the needed settings into your URL :bulb:

We’ve added a new section to the debug pane, in which a check is performed on which version the template is running on company level and firm level.

Whenever there is a difference, a warning will be shown now:

This might become useful for debugging just to be sure you are debugging the latest code (firm code) with the output of the template on company level.

An example could be if the company has his period locked, blocking all future updates of that template on firm level being executed on company level:

Hi Sven, adding “?debug=1” does not work for me…?

This link does not generate any debug mode for instance:
https://live.getsilverfin.com/f/106/reconciliation_texts/2622684/edit?debug=1

How should I use this please?

Gr. Ward

Hi @Warde ,

Debug mode only shows template details on company level. The URL you provided is a link to the template on firm level.

So you’ll have to access a template in a specific company and and ?debug=1 to the URL in there. That should work fine. If not, please reach out.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Robin

Ok, tx Robin, but what is the difference between company and firm level please?

Ok, I found what you meant. The debug mode indeed works fine when I am using it in a particular file, that is what you mean with the company level. Sorry, I was a bit confused.

Kind regards,

Ward

Hi @Warde ,

Indeed, great you understand it :smiley: !

Just for the sake of completeness (and I already started writing the message so won’t let it go to waste :wink: ):

• Firm level (i.e. Bofidi in your case) = general settings, templates code, workflows/workflow working screen settings, etc. that apply for all companies in the specific firm.
  • Company level (i.e. files/customers of Bofidi) = where users navigate and input data.

Kind regards,
Robin

I never got this to work, but this works fine in most cases:

javascript:window.open(window.location.href += '?debug=1');