CASE: create engagement letter with option for e-signing

Below code features an example of an agreement letter that can be added as a text template; in the code there are comment-tags used for info on how the code works, and why we choose certain code.

The output is something like this:

This is the source code you can use, and tweak to your own desire:

{% comment %}this text template is to be used only once, which is why all custom database variables are linked to the company-drop{% endcomment %}

<!---------------------------- local vars ------------------------------> 

{% comment %}create table for lay-out and indenting; input has grey headers, output standard lay-out{% endcomment %}
{% capture main_table %}|-----{% ic %}#{% endic %}{% nic %}+{% endnic %}{% endcapture %}
{% comment %}create options for agreement{% endcomment %}
{% capture agree_options %}I am in agreement with the terms and conditions set out above.|We are in agreement with the terms and conditions set out above.|I am not in agreement with the terms and conditions set out above.|We are not in agreement with the terms and conditions set out above.{% endcapture %}

{% comment %}display info for users; only in input{% endcomment %}
{% ic %}
{::infotext}
->*Note:  This engagement letter is only available between {{ company.name }} {{ company.company_form }} and the Silverfin Accountancy Services Ltd.*<-
{:/infotext}
{% endic %}

{% comment %}HEADER with company info{% endcomment %}

---

->**{{ company.name }} {{ company.company_form }}<br>{{ company.street }}<br>{{ company.city }}<br>{{ company.vat_identifier }}**<-

---

{% comment %}let users put in info first that can be displayed automatically in the text; this info is not shown in the actual output{% endcomment %}
{% ic %}

{::infotext as="hover"}
Update these regarding the main contact of our customer:
{:/infotext}

{% stripnewlines %}
|----20%----
|----40%----
|----40%----+
{% newline %}
| Name: 
| {% input company.custom.contact.main_contact placeholder:"Name & surname" %}
| &nbsp;
{% newline %}
| Mail: 
| {% input company.custom.contact.mail placeholder:"mailaddress" %}
{% newline %}
| Phone: 
| {% input company.custom.contact.phone placeholder:"phone" %}
{% newline %}
| Role in {{ company.name }} {{ company.company_form }}: 
|{% input company.custom.contact.role placeholder:"role company" %}
{% newline %}
| Name accountant: 
|{% input company.custom.company.account_manager placeholder:"Accountant" %}
{% endstripnewlines %}

{% endic %}

<!-------------------------------- actual agreement letter -------------------------------->

->**_ENGAGEMENT LETTER_**<-

_Subject: confidentiality agreement_

{{ 'today' | date:"%d %B %Y" }}

Dear {{ company.custom.contact.main_contact }}, 

The purpose of this letter is to set out the basis on which I will act as your accountant and tax agent and to clarify our respective areas of responsibility.  
You are legally responsible for making a correct return in respect of your annual tax liability, and for paying your tax on time.  As your accountant, it is therefore essential that I am supplied with all of the relevant information concerning your taxation affairs in good time.  
To facilitate this, please provide me with copies of any communications you receive from the HM Revenue and Customs, as soon as you receive them.

<br>

{{ main_table }}
| **Tax returns** - my responsibilities

|----05%---:|------+
| •         | I will prepare your tax returns if required, together with all supporting schedules as necessary.  You will be responsible for letting me have all the information needed to prepare this form.
| •         | I will forward your tax return form and supporting schedules to you for review and signature.  Once you have checked, approved and signed the return, I shall submit it to the HM Revenue and Customs
| •         | I will deal with any correspondence received from the HM Revenue and Customs or from you as necessary.
| •         |	I will advise you concerning recommended payments on account and final payments of your tax liability and the due dates for those payments.
| •	        | I will provide the professional services outlined in this letter with reasonable care and skill.  
| •	        | However, I will not be responsible for any losses, penalties, surcharges, interest or additional tax liabilities arising from the supply by you or others of incorrect or incomplete information, or your or others failure to supply any appropriate information or your failure to act on my advice or respond promptly to communications from me or the tax authorities.
| •	        | If HM Revenue and Customs raise enquiries relating to your tax return, I will discuss the position with you and agree with you the basis on which I will deal with such enquiries on your behalf.
| •	        | I will prepare your tax return in future years under the same conditions as above.

<br>

{{ main_table }}
|**Tax returns** - your responsibilities

Under the self-assessment regime there are a number of key dates by which returns and payments must be made.  Failure to meet the deadlines may result in automatic penalties, surcharges and/or interest.

You are legally responsible for making correct returns and for payment of tax on time.

To enable me to carry out my work you agree:

| •	        | To make a full disclosure to me of all sources of income, charges, allowances and capital transactions and to provide full information as necessary for dealing with your affairs; I will rely on the information and documents being true, correct and complete;
| •	        | To respond quickly and fully to my requests for information and to other communications from me;
| •	        | To provide me with information in sufficient time for your tax return to be completed and submitted by 31st January following the end of the tax year.  In order to meet this date you agree to provide me with all relevant information as soon as practical after the end of each tax year;
| •	        | To forward to me, on receipt, copies of all PAYE coding notices, notices of assessment, letters and other communications received from the HM Revenue and Customs to enable me to deal with them as may be necessary within the statutory time limits.

<br>

{{ main_table }}
| **Bookkeeping work** - my responsibilities

| •	        | I will keep your accounting records up to date including (modify as appropriate) wages, VAT and PAYE and the work I do will come under the general term of “Bookkeeping”. 
| •	        | I will send any correspondence or returns or forms on time and retain copies as necessary.
| •	        | I will deal with any correspondence received from Companies House and HM Revenue and Customs or from you as necessary.

<br>

{{ main_table }}
| **Bookkeeping work** - Your responsibility

| •	        | You must provide me with all the information required to fulfil this duty, including notification of any changes in to the day-to-day running of your accounting/bookkeeping system.
| •	        | You must provide any correspondence that I am required to deal with on your behalf in reasonable time. I will not be accountable for any overdue letters or fines arising thereof.

<br>

{{ main_table }}
| **File destruction**

Whilst certain documents may legally belong to you, unless you tell me to the contrary, I intend to destroy correspondence and other papers that are more than seven years old unless I think they may be of continuing significance.

{{ main_table }}
| **Ethics**

I am bound by the ethical guidelines of my professional Association and I accept instructions to act for you on the basis that I will also act in accordance with those ethical guidelines.
I am covered by Professional Indemnity Insurance. 

{{ main_table }}
| **Client identification**

All bookkeepers (and accountants) must comply with the duties imposed by the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, The Terrorism Act 2000 and The Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017.  Failure to perform these duties can result in fines and/or imprisonment.  Consequently, we are required to identify our clients and may request from you, and retain, such information and documentation as we require and/or make searches of appropriate databases.

{{ main_table }}
| **Help me to help you**

I aim to provide the best possible service to my clients.  If you would like to discuss how my service could be improved please let me know by telephoning or emailing me using the details provided at the top of this letter.
I will look very carefully and promptly into any complaint and do all I reasonable can to rectify matters.  
Prompt communication enables me to take prompt action for your benefit.

{{ main_table }}
| **Fees**

My fees are computed on the basis of time spent on your affairs and the responsibility involved by me and charged at an {% input company.custom.rate.choice as:select options:"hourly|monthly" default:"monthly" %} rate. 

Unless otherwise agreed, my fees will be charged under the heading of “bookkeeping” for each main class of work mentioned above and will be billed at monthly intervals during the course of the year. 

The hourly rate will be reviewed from time to time and any increase will be notified to you well in advance by letter. 
I will charge for any parking charges (excluding any fines or penalties) and any public transport fares incurred whilst undertaking work on your behalf. Any travel by personal transport will not be charged.

Unless specifically agreed, payment of my invoices is due at sight.  (If payment is not received within 30 days I reserve the option to charge interest on the outstanding balance, at a rate not exceeding 7% (per annum) over the relevant base rate of Lloyds TSB Bank Plc, for the period from 14 days after the relevant invoice date up to the date of payment.  Any decision to charge interest will be notified to you in writing).

{{ main_table }}
| **Data protection**

Information and data provided by you will be processed and stored securely to comply with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). 

{{ main_table }}
| **Applicable law**

This engagement letter shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with English law.  The courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any claim, concerning the engagement letter and any matter arising from it.  Each party irrevocably waives any right it may have to object to an action being brought in those courts, to claim that the action has been brought in an inconvenient forum, or to claim those courts do not have jurisdiction.

{{ main_table }}
| **Agreement of Terms**

Once agreed, this letter will remain effective from the date of signature until it is replaced or terminated.  Either party may vary or terminate my authority to act on your behalf at any time without penalty.  Notice of termination must be given in writing.

Please confirm your agreement to the terms set out in this letter by signing and returning the enclosed copy.  If anything is unclear to you or you require any further information please let me know.

<br>

Yours sincerely

<br>

{{ company.custom.company.account_manager }}

<br>

{% stripnewlines %}
| **Client declaration**  
{% comment %}if an agreement is not picked (see more below), show a warning tag{% endcomment %}
{% if company.custom.agreement.terms == blank %}
  {% ic %}
    {::warningtext as="hover"}
    Please select option of agreement
    {:/warningtext}
  {% endic %}
{% endif %}
{% endstripnewlines %}

{% comment %}option to select agreement or not{% endcomment %}
{% input company.custom.agreement.terms as:select options:agree_options %}

<br>

Signed 

{% stripnewlines %}
|----50%----
|----50%----+
{% newline %}
| {{ company.custom.contact.main_contact }}
| {{ 'today' | date:"%d %B %Y" }}
{% newline %}
{% comment %}the method "signmarker" has to be used if you wish to sign this doc digitally; there's the option for name, mail, phone and role as a signmarker{% endcomment %}
| {% signmarker name:company.custom.contact.main_contact %}
{% endstripnewlines %}

If you want to know how to add this as a template: